Tuesday 27 April 2010

Veja Indigenos and new methods of work

Veja Indigenos Hi Top

As I found out in March, Kapok in Hong Kong is a store that only stocks brands that combine design with craftsmanship. However, many of the products go even further, introducing social and environmental issues to the mix. This was no more apparent than with trainer brand Veja. They are considered by many to be the green sneakers and rightly so but they are much more than that. I have to be honest with you, when I hear the words eco friendly my mind is filled with thoughts of clumpy hemp or folksy printed creations but fortunately Veja have a different proposition. The label was set up in 2003 by two Frenchmen determined to fight worldwide deforestation, exhaustion of natural resources and Labour exploitation. They have managed to come up with one of the best looking fair trade products I've ever come across, none more so than the Indigenos range for AW10...


These low and hi tops are made with suede that is tanned without heavy metals or chromium with soles made with wild rubber from the Amazon.

Kapok's owner, Arnault assured me that they are both stylish and comfortable while ensuring your conscience is clean. When I returned from Hong Kong I was keen to learn more about the brand. However, before I could even draft a desperate email to their press department I had an email waiting for me in my inbox inviting me to their new London showroom. So, last week I popped down to see them to find out as much as I could about the brand. What struck me straight off was the close knit nature of the team (the London office has only three staff) and how they let the products do the talking for them. You won't see any fairtrade labels pasted on to any of their products. Veja has created a global chain that emphasises solidarity and the environment ranging from their small producers in Brazil to the European concept stores that we are all more familiar with. The brand works directly with Brazilian small producers, who are organized into cooperatives, of organic cotton and natural latex from the Amazon. The girls at Veja showed me the below video which really helped me understand how models are made. Right from tapping rubber in the Amazonian rainforest to picking organic cotton, following them to the assembling factory in Porto Alegra before being shipped off to France...



Veja produce simple, low profile trainers produced to a very high quality. With organic cotton from the Northeast of Brazil, wild Amazonian rubber and ecological leather, it is inventing new methods of work while still creating trainers with designs to get excited over.

4 comments:

John said...

They actually look like a pair of trainers I could see myself wearing. Are they for sale anywhere in UK/Online?

StyleSalvage said...

John: I still can't see you in trousers though but they are available in a few places here in the UK. I know they are currently in store and online at Oi Polloi and End Clothing.

Unknown said...

love veja...and they are so comfortable as well!!!

Matthew Spade said...

this brand sure is looking more and more appealing the more i see it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails