Sunday 16 November 2008

The Comme des Garcons x H&M Drop Crotch Trouser Challenge

So I didn't quite make it to launch day of the Comme des Garcons x H&M collaboration but by a number accounts it was not as crazy as we all thought that it might be (in the UK anyway - I'm not aware of any polka dot scarf fights) - some of you have even told us that in places the launch was extremely low key. If you have been (un)lucky (delete as appropriate) enough to snap up any of the collection, please let us know what you think of it? One of the reasons that I stayed away was my fear for the quality of the pieces and this fear seems to have been confirmed to me by comments of a number of blogs - wool on jackets wearing thin just after a day of use, buttons falling off etc. Are the accusations of poor quality grossly exaggerated? Aside from the quality issue, the other reason that I didn't venture down was sheer laziness, Susie left me at ridiculously early o'clock to cover the launch (footage of which can be seen here). Susie did pick up a pair of extreme drop crotch wool trousers for the very reasonable price of £35 (I was impressed by the quality of the finish). On her post about her new purchase Susie challenged her male readers to send in pics of themselves wearing the same trousers after seeing a number of guys snatching them off the rails. Therefore, when she wasn't looking I tried the exact same pair on...squeezing myself into them with a degree of difficulty....


The outift - Cardigan by Carola Euler (Stills Collection), white t shirt by Martin Margiela, Comme des Garcons x H&M drop crotch trousers, shiny black boots by Lanvin.

The trousers gave me an opportunity to try out one of my recent purchases...the Carola Euler cardigan and it works perfectly here. As you can see I decided to style the trousers by turning myself into the offspring of a Samurai and Obi-Wan Kenobi...I just wish I had a lightsabre. I'm not sure that I would actually wear these out...they are a little tight in the calf for my liking (I need a 12 - curse my muscular calves) but I enjoyed wearing them for this post regardless.

Were you one of those guys pilfering the womenswear rails? Please let us know if you were and send us your pics!

14 comments:

Glowing Doll said...

Sadly they made me look like a fat jogger.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I like them, just not with the outfit. Please take off boots and vest. You are sporting 4 eye-catchers at once. But good to finally see your skinny leggs.
I was at the CDG-HM. Had enough time and space to select men's items, but nothing made me look good or feel good and all and all looked a bit childish. Again the women had a better selection.

Style Salvage Steve said...

They certainly aren't for everyone. I actually read somewhere that they were only available in a limited number of H&M stores.
anonymous: For this outfit I wanted to dress them up to the max. In terms of my legs have you not seen me in apc jeans? I agree with you that the women had the better selection which was probably why so many men were raiding the womenswear!

Martin said...

That cardigan is absolutely beautiful Steve, works great with the pants.

What are your thoughts on wide leg slacks (think the Olsens hobo chic pants) on guys?

Style Salvage Steve said...

Thanks Martin! It is actually my favourite outfit that I've posted thus far. It certainly takes an element of confidence to pull a pair of these trousers off but with the right styling they can work really well! They aren't forever one though and there is no chance of them becoming as popular as the skinny jean!

SOS! said...

You deffo pull them off and you look fantastic. What I love more is the cardigan, yum!

TheSundayBest said...

You can do it - but yes, I think I would look faintly ridiculous.

The Spicers said...

I think this looks great on you (but wouldn't on every guy). Nice outfit!

Unknown said...

Good work getting in those.

I'm rather peeved by the CDG for HM.

I went to the Regent Street store with some colleagues at lunchtime on launch day and everything was well-stocked (minus the scarves, they sold out at the Wednesday night preview). There didn't even seem to be much customer interest.

I got the wide neck black jumper. By virtue of my clumsiness I had to wash it two days after buying it (don't ask). Even with proper wool care, it managed to roll itself up at the sleeves and waist and will not settle down.

For £40 I expected slightly better. I did like it before the accident.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Thanks for all of your kind comments on this outfit. I really enjoyed trying these trousers out.
moderanged - Unfortunately there have been a number of similar stories discussed across the online world. It's a real shame. I think the answer is not to wash any of the garments and just hope for the best. I agree that for a spend of £40 you really do deserve more!

Anonymous said...

Those trousers actually look great! I tried a pair like these but for the ladies in Zara and really like them. I'm not a great fan of the Commes des Garcons range... i was really excited bout it but it's all polka dots which im not crazy over either and the quality doesn't help anyting! I love the idea though!

You should check out www.fashbashsoundclash.blogspot.com!

Love your blog!

Nicky X

Anonymous said...

first womens mac lasted 4 days wear 2 buttons fell off, second jacket (returned first) 2 days wear, one button off so far... not sure if i shud just keep the jacket for fashion sake n get someone to sew buttons on with stronger thread or just take it back... got it for 80instead of 100 with online voucher, so feel less angry in a way... wat u guys think?

Anonymous said...

i dont like the pants,they are too japanese

duchamp rules said...

liking ur blog and the pants!!1

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails