Wednesday 23 July 2008

Write it, get it, paste it, save it,

I love the Internet. There I said it. It's out there. I have to admit though that this wasn't always the case, there used to be a time where it could get in the way of what I called the 'real world' (EJ can vouch for this) but now I've come to accept that there is no 'real' world or 'virtual' world, everything is in one big pot. The downside of all this is that I have (like you no doubt as you are reading this after all) become an addict of stimulation in both written and visual form. There was a time when monthly, quarterly and even bi annual magazines used to be enough. Of course I would go into the best newsagent in town and have to ask the owner about when an issue was coming out, annoyingly the hell out of them but I like to think that they probably miss me now (NB - I still do this but there are just so many great magazine stores in London that I no longer have a local store to befriend). The Internet has preyed on my slight magazine weakness to make me a fully fledged addict. I regularly walk into stores now preying that for some reason the new issue of Fantastic Man would have been published months early, 10 Man, HE, Squint Homme and Monocle woud all be there waiting for me and who knows maybe even Vogue Hommes might have found there way...alas normally I walk out empty handed and frustrated. Now however, m frustration doesn't last that long because I can go home and access so much online, which leads me to my point (I did actually have one)...I stumble across so many great blogs everyday...I read somewhere that every second two blogs are created which is awesome (Just to balance the scales I would add my own stat about how every second at least one blog writer gets bored and stops). Yesterday, I came across thenonplace.


I love the simplicity of it all. A font and layout similar to that of Fantastic Man, images are accompanied by a brief paragraph of text. For example the entry above is accompanied with the following text: Another summer sale buy, I have gone a little over board of late! Visvim Nez shirt from last spring summer lovely quality exactly as expected and a great fit.

It is something I can look at work to relieve my eyes from spreadsheets and delivery reports. According to the archive the blog has been going since June 2007 which is the same month that myself and EJ decided to write our own after talking about it for months. The blogger is Stephen Mann, a stylist based in London. who regularly contributes to Arena and Qvest as well as working with designer Aitor Throup. Thankyou internet.

5 comments:

TheSundayBest said...

Moustache off! At dawn!

This site is indeed lovely.

Anonymous said...

What a find! The reminiscence of Fantastic Man is so clear, making it even more endearing...

Speaking of, I'm yearning for the next issue...

/DCB.

Anonymous said...

Monocle is a wonderful title! It's one of the few magazines that make me read as many articles as I can!

I've turned my back on Wallpaper in favour of Monocle...

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm soooo glad I stumbled upon your blog! It has everything I love: mens' fashion, europe, and to top it off you share my love for architecture urban planning (or do you?)

I subscribed quicker than you could say who-dat-canadian-boy-and-where-he-come-from?

Style Salvage Steve said...

h of candid cool - We always love going off topic. Thanks for the tip though. It's not a film I've seen but one I will pick up to watch on a lazy Sunday...I like nothing more than doing just that. Expect a post about this in the coming weeks! Thanks again

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails