Tuesday 22 July 2008

When I grow up...

Image taken from i-D (the Artisan issue - which is an extremely good issue for menswear)

I've discussed my recently developed love for architecture (I would love to be an architect when I grow up), this fascination with me being me naturally includes how the architect styles himself. Ole Scheeren is the German architect blowing people's minds with his gravity defying design for China's Central Television Headquarters and is featured in the latest issue of i-D (the Artisan issue - which has a great deal of interesting menswear). Ole's interviewer for the piece gives him the following introduction..."Handsome, talented and well dressed, Ole is as much a hit amongst the ladies as his buildings are revered on streets across the world"...this might be a tad shoddy but it covers the main points and the grainy image shows that the man can dress - I'm not a fan of unbuttoned shirts but this artisan pulls it off with ease.


His CCTV Building has been described as two drunken, upside-down Ls leaning against each other for support and has been compared to a man adjusting a pair of ill fitting trousers, it is certainly one the world’s most ambitious architectural challenges which looks to have worked..


We look on as man adjusts his ill fitting trousers


On the CCTV Tower Scheeren remarks "At bus stops, in bars and on the street, people had started to speculate what this building was going to be and to recognise that architecture could possibly do something completely different to what they thought it was. It had started to capture the public mind, and in that sense made a contribution to the life of the city before its completion." One day I will capture the public mind. In the meantime I will dress the part.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to Rem Koolhaas? His name is the one most often attached to that pretentious monstrosity in Peking.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Good question. Rem Koolhas is still there, he's just not as good looking as Ole Scheeren. He relatviely recently went into partnershipo with Ole Scheeren, Ellen van Loon, Reinier de Graaf, Floris Alkemade and managing partner Victor van der Chijs as OMA are seemingly taking over the world.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear that about i-D. A good excuse to get the new issue.

Hardly buy i-D because it doesn't have much stuff on menswear.

Style Salvage Steve said...

I always find i-D to be caught up in the 90s, I mean this both in terms of styling and images. i-D are obsessed by this decade. In the latest issue they seem to have momentarily escaped from the timewarp and have featured some great menswear. I say buy it. It also features a great cover with stefano pilati wearing naomi campbell.

Anonymous said...

I'll take your word, Steve. I'll try and find a copy of that issue here in my city.

Anonymous said...

We supply brand shoes (air max, jordan,nike shox,adidas, af1, bape, dunk, iceream, puma, timberland, etc), bags, jeans.

Unknown said...

Where can I get the magazine?
Issit available in Malaysia?
I am a huge fan of Ole Scheeren.

TINA DUOER said...

就是那个大裤衩:)

TINA DUOER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails