Saturday 12 July 2008

Savage style worn with grace

Last night I went to see Savage Grace and although the subject matter of the film is unsettling and the direction cold at times, the film should be seen for it's style alone. Before I explore the style I guess I should give you an overview of the story, so here goes. On Friday, 17th November 1972, a shocking crime rocked London. Wealthy American socialite Barbara Baekeland had been stabbed to death in her Chelsea apartment by her own son, Tony. The film is a tale of money and madness, incest and matricide and tells the saga of Brooks and Barbara Baekeland - heirs to the Bakelite plastics fortune - and their son Tony, unfolding against a glamorous international background. Directed by Tom Kalin (best known for his provocative 1992 drama Swoon) Savage Grace is most effective as a truly subtle study of a mother-son relationship gone terribly wrong.


The trailer for me casts the film in a poor light (accentuating the slightly grating speech of the main characters) but please don't let this put you off the film. The film might be disturbing and quite cold at times and is more likely to be remembered for it's shocking content as opposed to anything else...however I would like to point out and celebrate the style of the film. Comparisons can certainly be drawn with The Talented Mr Ripley but I believe this film has more style substance.



Just look at that setting. This is relaxed, stylish summer dressing, very similar to that seen in The Talented Mr Ripley. There were better oufits but unfortunately the images are not yet available on line. There is one scene where Tony wears rolled up khaki trousers so effortlessly well, that it looks like something which I would like to try.

The father, Brooke was dressed well throughout the film but the above image shows him at his most suave..just look at the moustache!


I have picked this image because I have always wanted a robe just like this, everything about it is perfect..plus I have a thing about baths.

For me the image above is the quintessential image of the film (I prefer to not talk about the pose and what he is waiting for). On the suit Barbara remarks that she likes the suit and claims it to be from Gieves&Hawkes (she likes him in Gieves...eww), Tony quips that is in fact from the more exclusive Anderson & Sheppard "One can walk in to Gieves but one has to be walked into Anderson & Sheppard" (my favourite quote from the film and what great tailoring).

I wish there were more images to show you but these should be enough to wet your aesthetic appetites. Go out and watch it over the weekend and let me know what you think. I am going to return to the syle of one of the stars, Eddie Redmayne in the coming days because he been everywhere in the last few months, including the Spring/Summer Burberry Campaign, Nylon and Dazed&Confused to name just a few places.

2 comments:

we could grow up 2gether said...

this flick, heart-breakingly beautiful

Style Salvage Steve said...

I so pleased that someone else has seen it!

PS - You have great taste.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails