Sunday 20 July 2008

Modular Anatomy - My past and present collide

I grew up in a small seaside town on the South East coast of England and for many years it was my home. As a youth I would fit in quite seamlessly with my surroundings but there were moments when my sartorial choices caused a few disagreements with my peers - I must say looking back, I have no idea why some of the guys took offence to what I wore...the smallest of details could spark them off, a stripey jumper is an example which had a few colours in it would occassionally cause a remark on my 'sexuality'. Strange times indeed but they were never less than interesting. So what were my peers wearing if it wasn't stripey jumpers I hear you ask? The majority liked there labels. The uniform of choice included Lacoste polo shirts, Levis, Reebok classics and Stone Island jumpers and jackets, which were all worn with beaming pride and exuding masculinity. Time hasn't changed this uniform too much over the years but how I dress certainly has - if they thought I was a little strange back then, they certainly would now. Anyway, I've rambled on for too long about my childhood but hopefully I've set a scene of slot machines, ice creams, garage music and pearly white trainers.
When I read about Aitor Throup's collaboration with Stone Island I couldn't help but think that my two worlds have collided in some way. The project involves the construction of an ostensibly traditional down jacket pieced together in small parts using separate, individually filled cushion segments. Traditionally this is exactly the type of jacket which was worn by my friends and aggressors, now reinterpreted by one of my favourite young fashion designers. Throup's design philosophy starts with the human form and allows the garment to evolve organically, taking a building-block approach as opposed to a more conventional construction using sleeves, armholes and body panels.
Despite Throup's involvement I will not be buying this collection as it's just not my style (unless I am forced to battle the elements..which is unlikely)...I wonder if I'll be seeing any of it on the backs of my old friends.

4 comments:

TheSundayBest said...

I was at one of my favourite stores, ian in Seattle, on the weekend, and it was having a giant sale. Stone Island, Engineered Garments, Paul Smith, Modern Amusement - racks of sale items. So of course a group of small, Asian men must have wandered in before me because every single size SMALL was gone. Well, except the John Varvatos stuff...

Style Salvage Steve said...

thesundaybest - Damn those Asian men stealing all of the small sizes. I am frequently left empty handed at sample sales because a swarm of them have attacked the rails long before I've even risen from my slumber. I think there must be an underground network of asian men who know the date of every sale long before it is made public and they travel the globe leaving nothing (in a size small) in their wake. There needs to be santions imposed to evne up the playing field.

Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff man!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails