Sunday 30 March 2008

Sheer style or sheer madness?

I was fortunate to visit bStore yesterday and ventured downstairs into the basement to peruse through the delights on offer during their sample sale. I walked away with an unexpected buy...a sheer shirt by U - Handmade in England. Such a buy was far from my mind when I set off for the day (although I did want to get something from the label as I've been an admirer for some time) but I fell in love with it, in my mind it is one of the best buys I could make for the upcoming Summer season and what a bargain!

One of my favourite looks of the season - Jill Sander s/s 08

There can be little doubt that sheer clothes have strong connotations with femininity but recent menswear shows have explored sheer fabrics. Sheer popped up on a plethora of Spring/Summer menswear catwalks (Topman Design, Deryck Walker, Dries Van Noten) my personal favourite being the technical meshing of Jill Sander (as shown above)

Of course though, runway trends do not necessarily translate well into everyday wear. My advice would be to approach this trend with a little caution and subtlety but ultimately (as always) with confidence. Use sheer as a useful tool when layering - think of bright colours under sheer shirts/cardis/jackets or for a more subtle look sheer scarves layered to add texture and something different. Please see me modelling the shirt with a variety of colours, giving off different effects...
The recent issue of fashion156 is if by magic The Sheer Issue and the editorials within it demonstrate the myriad of ways of playing with sheer fabrics, as expected in womenswear but the boys are not forgotten! I will leave you with an image from the Man editorial...

Image from the recent fashion156 issue - The Sheer Issue - check it out if you can, the editorials are pretty awesome!

9 comments:

j said...

Well, I have a modest amount of chest hair. Without a shirt I look fine (with a tan even great), but chest hair under a sheer shirt is just not good.

LYNN and HORST said...

but i would like to see it without tee...plus jacket/cardigan maybe...

Style Salvage Steve said...

J - Fortunately I like you have a modest amount of chest hair. That said I think a vest is needed, no one wants to see nipples!
I completely agree lynn&horst. Unfortunately I was at my girlfriends flat so i didnt have my full wardrobe at my disposal, I will update the look for you.

Thomas said...

Alas, I do not look so "fine" without a shirt, and a sheer shirt would cause undue harm to innocent passers-by. But I applaud any man that pulls this off without falling into the dreaded mesh shirt trap.

dlittlegarden said...

I definitely like the shirt over a colored tee! Or over a men's tank would be great, too.

littlemissme said...

Hm, this look makes me unhappy. Maybe having survived adolescence in the nineties turns me off this look, remember that whole girls in sheer shirts under sweater vests look? Flashbacks!

(Do love the emo hair, though.)

Jenava said...

I like it! I like it buttoned up. Actually, you know what? Try it buttoned up with a white t-shirt. I bet that would look cool.

LYNN and HORST said...

hej, cool! waiting for the update then, tell me... kiss

Anonymous said...

I think sheer is HOT and macho....and if you don't have the nads to wear it WITHOUT a tee shirt under why bother? Sheer is about exhibitionism...if you 'got it' ...'SHOW IT'..I do.....even wear sheer pants

I know most dudes are too up tight to 'handle this' but get over it...I wear a lot of sheer and smooth/shiny/silky clothes..and get those looks from other dudes..BUT..FACT IS most of 'those looks' are envy that I 've got the guts to wear the stuff and they WISH THEY DID!

MachoSilkyDude

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails