Friday 26 October 2007

Picture postcard: goodbye internet

Image courtesy of Fak! (their exclamation mark, not just me being overexcited)
Dear Steve,
Greetings from the floor of my living room! I am surrounded by boxes with my life (well, mostly my plates) packed in them. Moving at last! This does of course mean that I will be without proper internet access for an unknown period of time, but never fear as I shall try to comment/take over other people's computers.
Anyway, back to the pic. I (of course) really like this lovely, casual androgynous look. It's the kind of outfit you make up of stuff you haven't worn or thought about in ages, then realise that it looks pretty good and, hey, I should wear this hat more often. That bag is wicked too and so DIY-able. Mostly, though, I just wanted to draw your attention to this website. I think it's Ukranian, though correct me if I'm wrong. while some of the outfits are a little outlandish for me, I just love the photos. Also, I love the fact that it puts the total cost of the outfit... I get a bit jaded with certain street style sites that only seem to show people dressed in expensive labels (or blatently expensive vintage) .
Oh, I just remembered a question I meant to ask you. Do men compliment other men on their clothes or is it just not done? I'm always telling random women that I like their shoes or their top or whatever, but always hesitate to do the same to men. Agony aunt, help me!
EJ


Hello there EJ,

It's saturday Morning and I'm in a funny moody. I'm so pleased that I'm not at work but then I've lost my gf for 10 days which also means that I've got no internet access either. So the next few days (other than arranging the internet for my own home) will include frequent trips to the internet cafe down the road. I hate those places! Anyway, back to your post. I've not come across this site before but it's cool. I like how it contains many facets that other street style blogs just don't offer. Such as the elaboration of the outfit and the various shots of key components of it. I love the case that your chap is holding and I agree that it would be fun to create something like this. My instant favourite on the site was this chap who is doing a fairly common look within the realms of Brick Lane and Shoreditch but is doing it really well. This chap would certainly be snapped by the likes of facehunter. He seems to possess something though that many others featured on the styleblogs that I regularly consult. Yes the squash racket case is a little unnecessary but I like the style conscious humour of this outfit. Most of all i love the tie and the contrasting autumnal tone of the entire thing. Good find EJ!

Now onto your agony aunt query. As your well informed Agony Aunt I can tell you that quite a few men do comment on each others style but the level of dialogue contained within this conversation can range from 'Nice shirt' to a lengthy discussion about rare trainers (which I have done after a few drinks). I'm not sure how many men would discuss this with random men though, I'm a little shy about it personally, I normally just look and admire. Overall, the style dialogue between the majority of men is nowhere near the levels of that between the majority of women and I'm not sure that it ever will, at least not in my lifetime. Unless of course I succeed in revolutionising how men think about clothes. I do think though that more men are thinking about clothes and of course thought leads to discussion (well hopefully). It's a little too early for this pseudo-social science exploratory investigation as I've not even had a Lady Grey this morning. It is an interesting question though and I'd like to open it up the readers...because amazingly we have readers now. What do you think J, Dustcakeboy, Stephen and friends?

Time for tea. Much love

Steve xxx

2 comments:

j said...

That really is an interesting anthropology question. Men (I speak of men in the US) do talk about clothes, but very superficially...like "nice shoes" "nice coat, where'd you get it?". Maybe some guys could name one or two designers they know from the mall...Ralph Lauren, Giorgio Armani, but the conversation is never as in depth as with women. I would say most men just want to look 'right' rather than look 'good' (and they equate the two) so they are not that interested.

Anonymous said...

Harhar!

'amazingly we have readers now'- all this laughing I seem to be managing right in front of the computer screen seem to be raising quite the few eyebrows behind me!

I concur with what's been said, to be perfectly honest. The majority - in no case, all - of men will spend less time nattering about clothing and appearance. I can talk gladly on an extensive range of topics such as subtle shirt details/embellishment to the best bespoke shoe...most of which would be considered downright snooze-worthy by most males.

RE: The Street Style photo...sheer opulence! That vivid colour is most definitely one of the many things that menswear lacks.

Lady Grey! Simply cannot be beaten. Although I must admit I am partial to an Earl Grey with a hint of bergamot...

DCB.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails